Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie second birthday ticker

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Friday, August 31, 2012

Goodbye, summer...

Labor day weekend is already almost here! Which means Kyle's official first day of school as a full-time teacher is this next Tuesday. He's been spending this whole week getting ready, going to meetings and preparing for classes, and will probably spend a lot of this weekend doing the same. He was originally planning on reenacting at Fort Stevens in Seaside, but decided yesterday that he needed the time this weekend to feel prepared for the start of school. He's teaching a freshman geography class, two psychology classes, and several math classes. He's been buying and laminating posters for his room, hanging up borders, cleaning, moving desks, the works! I'm really excited for him, this is the culmination of 3 years of hard work for him. I couldn't be more proud of what he's accomplished!

This last weekend was Payton's last soccer game. My Grandpa Book and Dot came down from Salem to watch, and I was really glad they could come. The weather was beautiful, if only Payton would cooperate! Just kidding, although she didn't really show much interest at all these last few weeks. I know she's only two, but she's just not into it right now. She kept saying she needed to go get water, and would just stand there and watch everyone else. She picked up and threw the ball way more often than she would kick it, and wouldn't stray far from Kyle or I in the group activities. She's just SO shy, always has been but I feel like it's getting worse. She's really shown an interest in swimming, so I think next on my list for her is swimming lessons this fall. I haven't decided if we should do the Little Gym again... I don't want to overschedule or overwhelm her, but I like to try to get her active with other kids since she doesn't have any siblings or cousins yet!

We want to our friends the Boases Friday night for dinner. They have two girls, one is a newborn and Summer is 8 months younger than Payton. Payton was painfully shy for like the first hour, and even had to be put in time-out a couple times (she was yelling at Summer for playing with her toys... which were actually Summer's). After about an hour though, she really calmed down, and then her and Summer were like best friends! They were tickling eachother, giggling, and playing together really well. Payton was even singing her ABC's, and after she was done Summer would say "again?" and Payton would start right over! She really liked helping with baby Mattisyn too, I think she will be a great big sister someday. As long as the new baby doesn't try to take any of her toys! :)

Saturday afternoon we headed out to Riverbend, which is a campsite in Sweet Home. Most of Kyle's family was camping out there, and we thought we'd give it a try. They have these little cabins you can rent, so it wasn't tent or even RV camping, but pretty close. It's a one bedroom cabin, so we were hoping Payton would sleep ok in her pack 'n play. She was (of course) extremely shy with everyone at first, even though she sees most of those people all the time, it was in a different environment so it threw her off I think. Sue offered to put her down for a nap so Kyle and I could go with everyone else and float the river, which was very sweet! I usually have to stay behind for things like that, so it was nice to be able to relax for a while. We had a pretty good time, although the river was kind of low so we kept bumping the rocks and getting stuck. When we got back Payton was just waking up, so it worked out perfectly! She really had a great time riding her bike, and she's never pedaled so well before! It was the first time she actually rode it without one of us pushing her. She had a blast, doing it over and over!

After dinner and a campfire, we took Payton back to the cabin to go to sleep. I stayed behind and read a book so Kyle could go back to the campfire, and after a while Sue came back to the cabin so I could go too. I wasn't gone for long though, we were all pretty beat so about 20 minutes later we headed back to the cabin to go to bed. It was surprisingly hot in that little room so nobody slept very well, but Payton never woke up so we deemed it a success. We already rented two cabins for next summer in July, we're excited to go camping again!

Camping with my cousins Courtney and Sarah! Cheetah came along too of course :)

This weekend will be an interesting one... I'm really looking forward to it, but at the same time I'm not. I've decided to give a concentrated effort on potty training Payton this weekend. When we visited the Boases, Kate gave me a book that she recently used to potty train Summer, and I read it and decided to give it a try. I know Payton's ready, in fact I think if we wait much longer she's going to not want to do it at all. The other day I saw her pooping, and when I asked her if she wanted to sit on the potty she said "no, I stand". And then, very defiantly, added "I don't WANT to go in the potty!" If she's naked she'll let me know "I need a diaper" when she needs to go to the bathroom. So for the next three days, I'm basically going to have Payton naked from the waist down. I'll put her potty chair where she can see it, let her know she's a big girl and she doesn't need diapers anymore, and I expect her to go in the potty when she needs to go. I'm going to be cleaning up a lot of messes, but I think she will eventually get the point. Please wish me luck! I'll let you know how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment