I'm very pleased to report that things have been looking up since I blogged last! They weren't at first, and I was starting to get discouraged. Basically, if Payton was awake, she wasn't happy. She cried and fussed almost all day, which was very tiring for her exhausted parents! You could tell she was in pain though, and not doing it just to fuss, so I would just hold her while she cried and let her do her thing. We just kept praying for a solution... about 3 days after she started the Zantac I still hadn't seen an improvement, so I called her doctor's office and they suggested trying an elemental formula over the weekend to see if that helped her symptoms while we were waiting for the Zantac to kick in (they told me to give it a week). It's also known as a hypoallergenic formula and is super expensive, but at that point I was willing to give anything a shot! You can't put a price on a happy baby. :) Well about 4 or 5 days after starting the Zantac and about 2 to 3 days after starting the new formula, we began to notice a huge improvement; I had my sweet baby back! I don't want to jinx it, but it has been like night and day, and I just hope that this combination continues to work for her. She can lay on her back again and smile and practice her kicks. Her spitting up has gotten a lot better, and so has her wheezing, although Kyle and I still occasionally hear it. Her doctor was thinking about doing what's called a speech swallow study, which basically means that Payton would drink a bottle of barium and a speech therapist and radiologist would watch her swallow on fluoroscopy, which is like an x-ray. This would be to make sure that the wheezing when eating wasn't coming from her aspirating fluid into her lungs, which could be serious because it could cause pneumonia. We're hoping that the wheezing will just go away so we (and by that I mean Kyle and I!) don't have to go through that. We'll discuss it with her doctor at her next appointment... I'll definitely keep everyone updated! Thank you for all of your positive thoughts and encouragement as well; it makes parenthood so much easier to handle when I hear everyone else's stories too!

Morning naptime!

Happy baby :)
I was glad Payton was feeling so much better, because her grandparents came to visit this weekend! My parents came down on Saturday, and very graciously insisted that Kyle and I take that opportunity to go on our first date night since Payton was born. My mom texted Kyle's mom, and before we knew it, Payton had four babysitters who were all fighting to play with her! :) So while our parents watched her, Kyle and I went out to dinner at the Olive Garden. It was really nice to be out, but before we knew it we were talking about Payton! We had to make an effort to really focus on just us, and so we spent most of the night reminiscing about college and the days of old. We were going to go to a movie but conveniently missed the start time, so we decided to go to Dairy Queen for ice cream so it didn't look like we ate dinner and then rushed back home. :)

Playing on the floor with Grandpa

Taking a nap on Grandma's lap
Kyle and I finally ordered a glider, and we are SO glad we did! We have it downstairs for right now since we're not really spending any time in her room yet, and it has been awesome.

Payton taking a nap with daddy on the new glider...
On Friday Kyle and I visited his old coworkers at Nike, they hadn't met Payton yet and were really excited to. It was great to see them, and needless to say she was a big hit!

This was the outfit I wore to visit daddy's friends... so cute!
So I finally got my wedding ring resized so that I can wear it again... it's been about 5 months since I've been able to wear it, so it's really weird to have it back! I had to get it sized a whole size up, but the lady told me it was still tiny... 4 3/4. Nice to be married again :)
This weekend Kyle, Payton and I are taking a trip to Seaside! We're leaving Thursday, and are really excited to get away for our first family trip to the beach. I will definitely take lots of pictures, hopefully the weather cooperates for us!
We can't tell you how happy we are to hear the good news about Payton Marie and pray that it continues. The pictures are great and I print them so I can have them in my purse for show and tell. We hope to get down to see you next week some time but I will call. Enjoy Payton Marie's smiles and coos. GG & GGP Book
ReplyDeleteGlad you are feeling better Payton. I hope I can see you again soon, and I have been enjoying reading about your life on your mommy's blog. I can't believe you are almost 2 months old!! Love you sweetie:)
ReplyDeleteYay for all of you that Payton is feeling better. I used hold Kyanne and cry while she did because I felt so helpless to do anything for her. Unfortunately as a parent there are more of those helpless moments than I care to experience.
ReplyDeleteRemember, if you need a beach getaway, you can always go to our cabin as well.
So very glad to hear Payton is feeling better. I'm sure it has settled the knots in your tummy as well. Those are nerve wracking, helpless times when it's not an instant fix.
ReplyDeleteMcKenna's little flip flap thing hadn't developed yet (the flap that keeps the food down) when she was a little younger than Payton. I was only allowed to nurse for 10 minutes every FOUR hours or she would throw-up everything. She liked to eat every 3 hours (and way more than 10 minutes) and would scream and cry that last hour and I would cry with her. Eventually her little system started working correctly and we got through that hurdle.
You and Kyle did a good job trying to keep your discussion focused on the 2 of you. It is easy to get swept up in "baby" and loose track of the original wonder you had going prior to baby. Keep doing more of that. Use those baby sitters and cherish eachother!
You guys are doing great :0) So proud of you!
Enjoy your family trip to the beach! How fun!