When I went to the doctor for my 36 week check up, I asked if they would check my cervix for any dilation since my sister's wedding was in 10 days, and it was 4 or 5 hours away. I had told myself that if I was dilated anything greater than a 2 then I should really think about whether or not I should go. I've experienced going into labor when you're out of town, and it was definitely not an experience that I wanted to repeat. So I was extremely excited when she told me I wasn't dilated at all, and no cervical thinning or anything! It made me feel better about going ahead with my plans to go to the wedding. I decided no matter what that I would be making it a day trip, heading up in the morning and heading home when it was over, and just making it a super late night.
So I went about my week, got my hair done, did my nails, and got prepared for Chelsea's big day. Wednesday was my pre-op appointment with Dr. McCann, who is the doctor who will be performing my c-section on the 9th. Kyle went too, so he could meet her and ask questions. I asked again to be checked, which she was happy to do since the wedding was just a few days away. After she was done, she said "you're not going to like what I have to say. You're 4 cm dilated". Kyle said after she said that, you could have heard a pin drop in the exam room. I was shocked. I wasn't dilated at all last week, how was that possible?! I asked her if she was sure, and and she said yep, and 80% effaced. She told me if I didn't want to deliver in Washington, then she couldn't recommend me going that weekend, but the choice was ultimately up to me. As soon as she left the room, I burst into tears. I felt so conflicted; what was I supposed to do?! There was no right answer. All I had to go off of was my previous experience, and the last time I was told I was 4 cm I was holding my baby in my arms 2 days later. Knowing I was that dilated, could I risk my baby being born in a strange hospital, with a strange doctor, especially a c-section? Even though I had only planned a day trip, it would be about 9 hours in the car, and then standing all day in the 85 degree heat. I felt like I knew what decision I had to make, but just the thought of it devastated me. I thought "with my luck, if I don't go I won't have him, and if I do go, I will". Chelsea's wedding is a once in a lifetime experience, but so is a birth, and I had promised myself after how stressful my last one was, that I would never put myself in that situation again. I called and talked to my mom and sister about it, and they both were in agreement that it wasn't worth the risk. As much as it devastated me, the decision was made for me to stay behind in Oregon while Rick and Sue took Payton to the wedding. I felt selfish, but I also felt like I had no choice. Thank you so much to everyone who was so understanding, especially Chelsea. You were so supportive, and I am extremely grateful!
So the car took off Saturday morning without me, and I couldn't even watch it leave because I started bawling. So hard! So to keep my mind occupied I just tried to stay busy around the house. Got to take advantage of any kid free days to get stuff done! I did lots of laundry, organized my room, tidied the house, put some finishing touches on the baby room, returned some things at Target, just puttered around. Kyle worked out in the yard most of the day, he has like 6 different projects he's working on, and he's super motivated! Around the time of the wedding I slipped into my dress, turned on my computer, and got to watch the ceremony through the blessing that is technology. Kyle's brother Tanner held my dad's iPad and I got to watch the entire ceremony! I just think that's so incredible. A huge thank you to Tanner for doing that, because it meant the world to me to be able to watch it live. Not only that, but I even got to give my matron of honor speech via the iPad! They just held a microphone up to the iPad speaker, and I read it to everyone. I was so glad that even though I couldn't be there, I could participate and still feel a part of the ceremony. Technology is amazing! And the part that made me most proud... Payton walked down the aisle all by herself! She is so shy Kyle and I thought there was no way she would do it (she was supposed to walk down with me), but we watched it live in shock and awe as she walked down the aisle, throwing flowers, then even sat on a step by Chelsea and watched the entire ceremony quietly! One proud mama right here! She even turned to my mom after Chelsea and Richard kissed and said "they're married!" So cute! We also heard she was a dancing fool at the reception, and couldn't wait to get the party started. We can't say that part surprised us though... she is a Hall after all :)
Ready for my road trip!
Beautiful bride and flower girl!
So proud of her!
Had to get my use out of my dress! The thumbs up is for you Chels!
Anyway, congrats to Richard and Chelsea, you had a gorgeous wedding day! I have never seen my sister look so happy and beautiful. As for me... yep, still pregnant. I almost wish I didn't know I was dilated, because now I almost expect something to happen, and I'm becoming impatient that it's not. Not that I have that long to wait anyway... just one more week! My last day of work is Friday, so it's my last week at work as well. Very exciting! I have a feeling this little guy isn't going anywhere, and I'm just going to walk around 4 cm dilated for the next week. That's not a bad thing though; I was really looking forward to the experience of the scheduled c-section to be honest, getting a full nights sleep the night before, getting a shower in the morning, doing my hair and make-up, and feeling prepared as I went in to have my baby with everything I needed. As opposed to last time when I hadn't slept for like 36 hours, had zero make-up on, no overnight bag, and was so exhausted from pushing for so long without medicine that I looked like a zombie, this time I will actually feel ready, both physically and emotionally. We're the first surgery of the day so we don't have to wait long, and then I will have all day (on a full nights sleep) to get acquainted with my new baby. I'm really looking forward to what a different experience this will be! Dr. McCann said that we should only be in the hospital 2 days this time instead of 3, which was also welcome news to hear. I just can't believe we only have one week left until delivery day...
Full term!
It's been in the 90's for the last several days, so I am extremely thankful for our A/C! I can't even imagine what I would be doing without it. It turns on before I even leave for work! It's going to be a beautiful 4th of July, and we're just going to lay low. It's going to be our last weekend as a family of 3; crazy! I have my last doctor appointment before delivery on Wednesday, I feel like I've been going so often that it will be weird not to visit that office all the time anymore! I have to say though, it will be nice not to constantly be weighed for a while :) Although at my last appointment I only gained .2 pounds, so I'm hoping for something similar this time! My total weight gain so far is 32.8 pounds; I didn't want to gain more than 30, so I'm not too far off the mark. I'll let you know how it goes!
Congrats again to Chelsea and Richard Falk, hope you enjoy your honeymoon and I can't wait to hear all about your special day when you get back! :)








We sure missed you, but you would have been M.I.S.E.R.A.B.L.E.! Had you tried, the exertion might have made the baby come at an inconvenient time so I think you made the right decision. And with the miracle of technology, you still got to see it.
ReplyDelete