Kyle and I awoke bright and early on Tuesday, July 9th. Well actually I hadn't been able to fall asleep until about 3am, so when my alarm went off at 4:30 I wanted to stay in bed... but it was baby time! We got up, showered, I was able to put on a little make-up (already so much better than last time!) and then my mom was here. She got to our house about 5am so that she could be here when Payton woke up. I was excited to get going, but also a little apprehensive at the same time; I knew that once I left my house, nothing would ever be the same again. Life as I knew it was about to change!
After getting checked in and taken up to maternity, they had me change into a gown, put me on the baby monitor, and started an IV. Our surgery wasn't for a while yet, so we just kind of hung out. Lots of people came by to talk to us though; the anesthesiologist, the pediatrician who would be attending the baby after the c-section, my doctor, lots of nurses, and Kyle's aunt Pam. We are SO thankful to her, she made the experience such a smooth one, and really helped calm my nerves. She's the OB nurse manager, and even though it wasn't technically her shift yet, she came in to be there during Carter's birth. In fact, she was our baby catcher! More on that in a minute though. I signed a bunch of consent forms, and then they told me it was time to go. Such a surreal feeling, to get up and walk into an OR knowing your baby will be here in just a few minutes! Like I said though, such a different and more relaxing experience than last time. Everyone was so friendly, and we were all chatting, laughing back and forth.
Nervous but ready!
Once I got into the OR and up onto the table, it was time for my spinal block. This was actually the part I was the most apprehensive about, since I didn't really know what it would feel like. I had one before with Payton, but I was in so much pain during that one that I didn't even feel it, and the instant relief I got was worth it anyway. It wasn't too bad though, just a couple big pinches and then it was over. They laid me down, put in a catheter, then someone walked Kyle into the room and we got started!
Before we knew it, he was here. When Dr. McCann got into my uterus she said "I see a chubby cheek!" Then she kept commenting on how big and round his head was, it took them an extra minute to get it out. I actually didn't know when he was delivered right away because Carter didn't even cry, he just kind of sat there and looked at all of us like "huh?" I asked if he was ok, and Kyle said yes, that he was just looking around. Then the crying started! Dr. McCann handed him to Pam, who brought him around to see Kyle and I and then took him over to Dr. Stein, the pediatrician. They cleaned him up and weighed him real quick, then brought him back to Kyle and I.
Hello world!
Pam showing off her new great nephew!
Big boy!
Hanging onto daddy
I may have already discussed this in another blog, but one of the reasons I wanted to attempt a VBAC (which I'm now glad I didn't, with an almost 9 pound baby!) was because I wanted to be able to do skin to skin and try to breastfeed right away, which typically aren't allowed with a c-section. Well, Pam said that Corvallis was moving towards doing that, and she found a pediatrician who was supportive of me trying it. She even had me trial this tube top type thing, which I put on before I went into the OR. I was the first one to do it! When they brought Carter over to me, they just tucked him into this band of fabric around my chest, and that way he was safe and no one felt like he was going to roll off or they had to hold him, and I got to have skin to skin time the whole time they were sewing me up. It was amazing! Everything I wanted it to be. I was so thankful that they let me have that experience, it really meant a lot to me. Carter was ready to eat too, he kept licking my neck; I thought I was going to have a hickey by the time we left the OR! Such a special time though, and I was so glad we got to have those first snuggles. Finally the surgery was over, and they put Carter into a bassinet and wheeled us to our room.
Cuddle time with mama!
So special...
Our family has expanded!
Very blessed
Kyle's and my mom were there when we got out, Kyle's cousin Sarah was with Payton so that they could come to the hospital and meet their new grandson.
After that they ran home to grab big sister Payton, so she could meet her new brother! I was so excited to see her and show her Carter, but before I could say anything as soon as Payton walked into the room she started talking and informed me that she had seen a dump truck that morning. You know, the important things to talk about. She cracks me up!
Siblings meet!
Who is this guy??
Supervising daddy changing a diaper
Giving brother kisses
The look on Payton's face when Carter peed on Kyle for the first time was priceless!
Next I'll post some pics of the proud grandparents meeting their grandson...
And cuddles with daddy too :)
Officially a family of four! Very blessed!
My favorite picture :)
Usually you stay in the hospital for 3 days after a c-section, and we were planning on staying that long... but decided to go home after 2 days this time, for several reasons. My main reason for wanting to stay in the hospital was I figured I would get more rest than I would at home, since I wouldn't be taking care of Payton and doing stuff around the house, and so I should take as much time as I could at the hospital. Well, that didn't really turn out to be the case. I would have just gotten to sleep, and then the pediatric resident would come in to check on Carter. Then the nurse would come in to do his vitals. Then 20 minutes later they would come do my vitals. Then an hour later someone from my OB's office would come in to check my scar and push on my tummy (OUCH). And so on and so on... Needless to say, we were not feeling rested. I completely understand the need for all the interruptions, but we figured with all the help we would have at home we would be fine, plus we were really missing Payton. So we packed up our room and our newborn son and hit the road to Albany!
Off we go! 2 days old
We left the hospital in the afternoon, and actually decided to swing by and surprise Payton by picking her up from school on the way home. She was really excited to see us, and we were excited to see her too!
So, now we're just adjusting to life with a newborn and a 3 year old. It's quite the adjustment! I've been so thankful that Kyle has been off this whole time, my hat goes off to any mom that has to adjust to this by themselves. Kyle has been amazing, cleaning, doing laundry, and really making sure Payton's needs are met. He's also still working a lot in the backyard, I can't wait to post pictures of that once it's finished! He starts summer school next week, so that will be my real test. Good thing I still have so many grandmas, grandpas, aunts and uncles around to help! :)
So I'll start working on my next blog of our first few weeks at home, and try to get it out as soon as possible... considering this one took me 3 days to write, I'll do it as quickly as I can! Lots of pictures, lots to report. Thank you for all the prayers, thoughts, and kind wishes. We're doing great! Sleep deprived of course, but great :) Blog soon!




























Great blog! I REALLY wanted to know all the details of your delivery day and you perfectly wrote it all down. Thank you for that. I'm glad you're all adjusting to being a family of four. It's a terrific a ride and so much fun :) We sure love you all!
ReplyDeleteAunt Tawnya
Enjoyed the blog sooo much. Thought I would try again to add a comment. I was wondering who would be the first person Carter would "shower"? Much different than changing girls! Beautiful little family, love you all. Gr Grandma C
ReplyDeleteCute blog. Glad to see you got a much better start with Carter than you did with Payton.
ReplyDelete