I took Payton to OHSU today to see her opthamologist, and the verdict is in... she does need glasses. Unfortunately her farsightedness has not improved, and he told us that if she does not start wearing glasses then she is at risk of her vision never developing normally. He said that she is more farsighted right now than most people will be in their entire lifetime, and that she may just be one of those people that always need glasses. How did I handle this news you ask? I have two schools of thought. One part of me is devastated, I'm not going to lie. My little baby needs glasses?? I don't want my baby to have to go through anything that may give her potential hardship (I think all of us moms out there can feel me on that one). On the other hand, I keep telling myself to chill out, that it's just glasses; millions of people have them, including lots of children. I don't think they're as common in babies, but I was surprised how much info there was on babies in glasses when I hit the internet (if you're interested in checking that out, I found a great site called www.littlefoureyes.com). When you look at her though she seems fine, so it's just so hard for me to believe that she struggles so much to see. He told us it's not that she can't see, but her eyes have to work really really hard to focus, much harder than they should have to. She doesn't know any different, so she doesn't complain. We're going to get her fitted with some frames sometime in the next week, and then go from there...
In a way, if you think about it, I almost think of Payton's hemangiomas as a godsend; if she had never had them, she would have never gotten checked out by an opthamologist, and we would not have figured this problem out probably until she started school. This past year has been quite a journey, and although some things have turned out a little (ok a lot) differently than I expected, I could not feel more blessed with the amazing little person in my life that I have the privelege of calling my daughter.

On that note, I'm pretty sure she'll be the cutest kid I've ever seen with glasses! This was after trying chocolate pudding for the first time. Yum!
P.S. I forgot to tell you in my last post... We're going to see Elton John in concert on Thursday! SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO excited!!!
I got glasses in 3rd grade and I can honestly say nobody ever made fun of me (that I can remember?) Anyways, she'll be so cute with them!
ReplyDeleteThank you Carissa! I'm really encouraged when I hear about other people's experiences with glasses :) I hope we get to see you guys this weekend!
ReplyDeleteMoms only want the best for their children, especially you.
ReplyDeleteI know this sounds trite, but be grateful she only needs cute little glasses to solve her problem...and perhaps improve to the point of not needing them anymore.